[T3] Question on fuel leak today .

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:44:49 PDT 2018

 My name is William been here a while . Had questions about the charging
system and other issues . I changed my email address is all.

 Today I drove to the store parked got out and the car started then quit .
I saw what looked wet on the pavement thought it was a/c drain water . I
used the prime switch and heard the pump then got out and saw more wet . I
saw fuel dripping. Turns out it was a 5/16" 2" long bolt I used to plug the
fuel line from the line that fed the cold start valve . I long ago cut that
line and left enough to fit the fuel pressure gauge it's about 1 foot long
. I have 2 clamps on that line to clamp the bolt/plug FI clamps and found
the plug on the ground . I did this because I thought perhaps the cold
start valve might leak ,it didn't . I also use that hose with the plug to
connect the fuel pressure gauge rather than the port on the left rail .

 What would be  a more secure way to plug this line? The bolt was difficult
to force in the hose yet not as difficult as it was before . In the engine
compartment i used FI rated hose not the R7 type but German very thick
walled rubber hose yet don't know if it's ethanol rated . I didn't see any
cracks inside the hose or outside. Good thing I had it facing down ahead of
the firewall so no fuel got on the engine yet did sort of melt my tennis
shoe soles a bit. some fuel was dripping on the right heat exchanger .
There has to be a better way because I know many disable the cold start
valve . Perhaps a barbed fitting say 5/16" with a brass plug since all I
can find are 5/16" barbed fittings with 3/8" female threaded end so I amy
have a brass cap, yes /no?

William

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>