[T3] I've got another question , same one I asked a while back.

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 11:41:33 PDT 2018

I know about the separate contact for the idle position 17 as well as the 2
separate tracks 9 & 20 and ground 12/47 . Then there is 2/14 connected
through the 2 wiper sliding contact which is the center contact of the
switch built into the plastic arm which has a (floating) switch which fits
the throttle shaft of the IAD . This switch at idle " the separate contact"
 or when the throttle is closing connects 2/14 to 17 on opening the
throttle that switch then connects 2/14 to either 9 or 20 depending on
throttle position which offers the injector pulse at a certain point near
end of travel is WOT . Also 12/47 is always ground as it is connected on
the board trace to 2/14 . I only brought up the 20 clicks not as an
adjustment method , just to check as I open the throttle all 20 enrichment
pulses exist. I adjusted using the throttle fully closed as the stop or
starting point not the welded stop in the TPS since  the throttle plate
must be fully closed then make sure with leads on 9 & 12 that slight
throttle open 2 degrees I have contact to 20 & 12 . The 2 degrees seems to
be the movement of the floating contact or switch and then the wiper is
just into the gap off the idle position pad and close to moving onto 9 of
the zig zag .

 I think I understand why you wanted me to plug in the IAD temp sensor and
unplug the TPS . My take is that floating switch may be slightly off or
still on idle when it should be completing the contact to 20 and 12 as well
as the position of the wiper coming off the idle pad .

 You said "There's a separate contact for the idle position. That's the one
you use to
adjust the TPS." I assume you are talking about the 2 position switch as
well as the wipers position as they both work together .

 To be honest decades ago when all I had was the Bentley and did it as
described it worked because if I was off just a bit thinking I could
improve something the car would not idle well at all,  it would if I recall
sort of surge or rise and fall yet didn't have that insane popping I get
now with the temp sensor connected . I still want to try what you suggested
just to see what happens.

 I recall telling you a while back how a person who worked for Porsche told
me to bend the stop tab one fine day when I was setting the TPS . His
thought was bend the stop so the wiper was near coming off the idle pad
then rotate the marks on the TPS  2 degrees on the scale . If I recall
before this the stop tab was set so the wiper was further back on the idle
pad further away from the small gap on the board. I have 2 of these 73 TPS
units only difference is one was a wire contact in that switch and the one
one the car has a wider flat copper contact.

William

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>