[T3] I've got another question , same one I asked a while back.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 21 22:49:43 PDT 2018

On 21 Jul 2018 at 14:46, William Jahn wrote:

> Last time I looked at this leaky connection I could see the metal ring was
> already as far forward as it can possibly go with the clamp off and the
> mesh so called sealing /packing is as far forward as it can go . I can only pull
> the header back enough to see about 1/4" of the HE pipe , if let go it goes
> right back into place. I would need to find a way to pull it back further and
> hold it there to even attempt to fit the aluminum sheet in there .

Okay, this fitting is not quite the same as stock. What I've done
sometimes is cut the sealing ring in 1 place, spread it, and take it
off. I don't know how hard that might be with the metal mesh seals.

With the seal out of the way, you can fit the alum shims and the
muffler cement, then reinstall the split seal. Use some of the cement
to mend the seal, maybe fill the whole seal with the cement.

Sounds like the flange on the header pipe is also a problem. You'll
need to do something about that or nothing is going to make this
problem go away.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org