[T3] Question on my 73 T-3 Square back . Charging system.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 1 11:48:25 PDT 2018

On 1 Jul 2018 at 13:46, Bobnotch wrote:

> William, it wouldn't surprise me if it's low, as the headlights draw a lot of amps from a limited source.

Headlamps draw 4 to 4.5 A EACH, so it's significant, but the charging
system should be up to that task. The generator is rated at 30 A, and the FI
and ignition probably draw around 5 A, or less.

As more and more loads are turned on, the IR drop across the main wire
from the regulator to the fuse box will grow. That will lower the voltage seen
at the fuse box, even if everything is working properly. Note that it only takes
a resistance of 0.1 Ohm, including connectors and fuses, to cause a voltage
drop of 1.3 V when 13 A (8 A + 5 A) is being drawn thru that wire.

I'm not sure how much current is actually drawn by the ignition or the FI.
When I bench test the Delta Mark 10 capacitive discharge ignitions, they
draw around 3 A.

I should measure the draw of a standard ignition and the FI sometime. It
would not be hard for me to do.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org