[T3] Time for an engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 21 05:20:24 PDT 2018

On 20 Jun 2018 at 20:46, Keith Park wrote:

> Well Im certainly curious too, see what it looks like in there
> after 27 years. I have pix of the cylinders when I last did the heads, but
> that was 55Kmi ago, at that time they looked perfectly smooth but worn
> past ALL the hone marks.

The thing that's most important is the amount of "bell mouth" that the
cylinders have developed. They get more wear at the top of the piston travel,
due to more heat there and the reduced lubrication at that end of the stroke.
This wear is difficult to measure without a bore gauge, but you can get an
idea by how much of a ridge there is at the top, above where the piston rings
never go. Note that there is never a similar ridge at the bottom of the piston
ring stroke, where it's cooler and better lubricated.

It's possible that you'll find your #2 cylinder is no worse off than the rest, but
carbon may have built up around those rings just a bit more than around the
other rings, just enough to keep those rings from expanding freely and
sealing  perfectly.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org