[T3] Parts!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 23 05:44:17 PDT 2018

On 22 Jun 2018 at 22:40, William Jahnkow wrote:

>  I understand that water and dirt came enter the fuel tank because of the
>  overflow hose being cracked or missing. What I don't quite understand is
>  since the fuel flows from the tank through the fuel filter to the pump
>  and there is that much water in the bottom of the tank since the tanks
>  outlet is at the very bottom I would think the car would not run very
>  well with enough water at the tanks bottom.

It's true that with enough water in the tank's bottom our cars don't run well. In
fact, I've seen cars that won't run at all. The saving grace is that with the FI
fuel pump running there's enough turbulence to to mix the gas and water so
that pure water seldom gets delivered to the injectors.

Rust in the bottom of the tank usually occurs only when water is allowed to
sit there for a long time. This only happens if the car is parked for storage
with water in the tank.

It's possible that the turbulance/mixing caused by the FI pumps makes the FI
cars less likely to suffer from rust. It's may be that the FI cars are easier to
start with a little water in them than the carbed cars, so that the FI cars may
tend to be kept on the road while the carbed cars get parked and ignored,
letting the rust proceed. Of course there are other problems that tend to get
the FI cars put aside.

I'm happy to hear that Art's gas leak was only hoses, not his tank.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org