[T3] be-brake bracket problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 29 08:37:22 PDT 2018

On 27 Jun 2018 at 14:36, Earl Schamehorn wrote:

> Has anyone replaced or repaired their e-brake bracket? The hole on the left
> side of the bracket has become elongated.

That sounds like a hard thing to repair. Welding a washer there seems like it
might work, but you'd want to put the pin and lever in place while welding to
make SURE you got it in the right place. Once you're done, you'd probably
have to make a new pin, because the old one will probably be too short by
the thickness of the washer.

You could try to round out the left hole and make a collar for the pin, but that
also sounds hard. Or make a stepped bolt to replace the pin. Still, enlarging
the left hole while keeping the new hole centered on the old one seems
really difficult, and unlikely to succeed.

Is that whole bracket one piece, welded to the top of the tunnel? If so, the
easiest solution would be to cut the welds on one at a junkyard and weld it
onto your tunnel. The nice thing about this approach is that Beetles probably
used the same bracket - easier to find at the junkyard. I checked the parts
book to see if that bracket was sold separately, and, oddly, it was not.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org