[T3] Brake Light switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 14 12:18:18 PDT 2018

On 14 May 2018 at 17:46, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Hello I am adding in a mechanical brake light switch into my 72
> Squareback. Looking at the wiring diagram I believe I need to tap into
> the Black and the Red/Black that go to the T3 triple cable connector.
> Is this correct I don't want to cause any strangeness with the system
> so want to leave the current in place.

I'm not sure I trust the colors shown in the diagram. Your switch should go
between the wire that is hot (whenever the key is ON) and the wire that lights
up the brake lights when you connect it to the hot wire.

If you figure out a good way to install a mechanical switch, please share it
with us.

Reliability of modern switches has certainly been a problem. I don't know the
root cause, but they are cheap and easy to replace. If you do the
replacement quickly, no bleeding is necessary.

> FYI: the current pressure switches are failed and I never liked how
> slow to react they are when they do work.

Hmmm, I never noticed a reaction time problem with them, but it's usually
hard to watch your own brake lights.

BTW, there's no point in sending list messages to more than one list
address; that just causes your message to be sent out more than once. The
only one you need is type3 at vwtype3.org.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org