[T3] Chassis restoration: a horror story

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Sat Nov 3 20:51:15 PDT 2018

> On Nov 1, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Mara Johnson <drmarajjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, thanks for the tips.  All I know for sure is back quarter is gone.  I
> think I will start there, but also investigate what I might be truly
> dealing with as you suggest.  What do you replace the old sound deadening
> material with?  My rear engine compartment sound deadening material is shot
> so I have been thinking about this.

I haven't yet decided what to do about the floor insulation.  Some folks use Dynamat or equivalent, some people like closed cell foam.  I'm a bit hesitant to put down anything adhesive, because I'd like to be able to remove it for purposes of drying out.  Seems like anything mostly-stuck to the floor is just going to trap in moisture. I want to make sure that whatever I put down ends up lying mostly flat.  If you use something that hugs the pan tightly (like Dynamat), you end up with carpet (or rubber mats, if I'm ever lucky enough to find a usable set) that has ribs in it.

For engine compartment sound deadening material, you might be able to buy a kit from Wolfsbürg West and cut it to fit.  They sell real nice stuff for Bugs, and it's the same material.  I'd have to check engine compartment dimensions, though -- I have a feeling the type 3 front piece might be a bit wider than on a Bug.  Height would be no problem.

> Are you still 6V?

Yeah, still 6V.  I've got a good stash of 6V parts, so as long as I can get Optima batteries, I think it'll remain 6V.  The only thing I'm missing is a way to charge my phone.

Soren