[T3] 72 Stock Manual Trans

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 5 15:22:21 PST 2018

On 5 Nov 2018 at 21:23, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Does anyone know if the stock 72 trans has a fine or coarse tooth gear?

Bentley manual, ch. 1 pg 47, top of left column: "New 3rd and 4th gears are
standard on Type 3 cars from transmission serial No. 310 2 191 756."

But this is clearly a 1970 VIN, not a tranny number, so I went to the parts
book to see if I could confirm this change. According to the parts list, the
change occurred in mid-68, so I don't know what to say, other than that I
thought most of the IRS trannys had the fine tooth gears.

I never thought of the fine tooth gears as weak, but it's possible. Even if they
are weaker than the coarse teeth, they've not been a problem for street
driven cars. Maybe for dragsters or for off-road, but not for street.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org