[T3] MAX CC

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 6 14:20:12 PST 2018

On 6 Nov 2018 at 17:16, bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I really don't know, but Russ once said that the type 3 cooling fan was
> the largest fan ever built by VW.

That may be true, except possibly for Type 4s, but it's also true that Type 3s
and 4s have to pull their air thru a much longer path than Types 1 and 2.
Longer path lengths and more corners mean more resistance to flow.

In gas flow, we usually talk about conductance rather than resistance, where
low resistance means high conductance. For better cooling, higher
conductance is better.

I'm not familiar with the cooling air passages on Notches, but with the intake
louvers behind the rear window, doesn't that mean that the air must flow
sideways, then to the rear, then back to the center where the engine can
suck it in? If so, that's a lot worse than the other body styles.

Just thinking out loud....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org