[T3] MAX CC

bobsnotch at aol.com bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 11:02:06 PST 2018

Yes, in under the rear window to the sides, then down the sides to the middle.
It also slightly narrows as it flows along the sides, possibly speeding up the air?
I don't really know as I'm not an aerodynamics engineer. There's also the possibility
 that the spring pockets for the rear trunk lid hampers air flow too.

If you ever look behind the panel behind the rear fenders of a Fasty or Square, you
see that big pocket get shrunk to about a 5 by 6 inch opening, then it curves inward
only to open back up to fill the space between the rear apron and the cooling boot
panel. There are photos of this on the Samba. The early cars even got a deflector in
the cooling boot opening to help direct air flow. This was dropped on the later cars. I
don't know why though. It's possible that after VW turned the vent slots on the rear
fenders, that they felt they didn't need that part anymore. My 65 Notch has this part,
while the 71 Notch I rebuilt doesn't. Neither does Sue's 70 Fastback or my old 70
Square.

I find it odd, that my 65 has that deflector piece, but my old 71 Notch didn't. It's not
like VW made the cooling slots larger on the later Notchbacks. In fact about the
only real change was the left cooling duct, as VW needed some room to put the
ECU there in the cooling air flow. They even installed little dams there to redirect
water flow inside the duct on that side.
Bob