[T3] Cargo Mat Repair

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 12:25:39 PDT 2018

The original, brown Cargo Mat in the rear of my '69 Square has cracked
transversly due to age, sun, and engine heat.  It's now in two, pieces

The front ~half of the mat is "captured", just behind the rear seatback, by
a metal piece that was OEM installed.  The back ~half of the mat is now
just laying over the engine cover.

1.)  I would like remove the front half from that "crimped-over" metal
strip, then
2.)  Re-attach the 2 pieces together with something strong and flexible.

My first though is to:
A.) Lay the two pieces (good side down) on a flat surface (like a 4' X 8'
sheet of plywood) &
B.)  Embed a ~12" X 48" piece of woven roving fiberglass into a ~1/4"
layer of something like liquid Flex Seal.
C.) Let the Flex Seal cure for several days, then
D.)  Reinstall the (now) one-piece mat back on to rear deck, without
re-"crimping" the front edge.

Questions:
1.)  Has anybody removed the mat from the front "crimped" metal piece?
2.)  How did you do it? (Use a flat pry bar?)
3.)  Suggestions? Cautions?

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)