[T3] Brake Line grommet

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Tue Oct 23 21:37:49 PDT 2018

On 08/06 10:02, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2018 at 22:44, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
>
> > I wonder how much difference, if any, there is between single
> > circuit vs dual circuit [metal brake lines from the master cylinder
> > back to the tee at the rear].  VW lists two different parts, but
> > that could just be to account for a slightly different bend near the
> > master cylinder.
>
> I hadn't thought of that. I think a single circuit line would have to
> be a couple inches longer. I'll do that if anyone needs it.

How long is the line that you make for dual circuit type 3s?

Today I installed an 86" line in my single circuit Squareback.  The line
has been sitting around for so long that I have no idea where it came
from or what it was advertised as.  The fit was pretty good, though.  If
I had to guess, I'd say that 84.5" would be about right.  I took up the
slack at the rear before the line enters the rear crossmember.

Somewhere earlier in this thread (I think it was this one, anyway) I had
written about split brake line grommets for use up front.  I still
maintain that the genuine VW ones are a breeze to install and fit great
once installed.  Unfortunately, though, I had one fall apart when I
tried to reinstall it after several years of service.  It looked fine
when I grabbed it, but split into two nice half-circles when I popped it
on the line.  Extremely clean break, which makes me think it was
probably a manufacturing defect.

I didn't get the chance to use my NOS nippled brake line boots for the
rear.  I figure those need to be installed on straight line prior to
flaring.  They'll probably sit in a box forever :\

Soren