[T3] A Hint...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 9 07:08:02 PDT 2018

On 9 Sep 2018 at 4:13, J. Jonik wrote:

>  I thought to just tidy up and re-tighten the Head Sensor. Bingo.

I gather that you did this again and now your engine is running. Is that
correct?

What did you tighten, the threaded part into the head, or the 1/4" spade
connection at the end of the wire?

One problem that happens with those sensors is that the wire gets bent
sharply where it exits the sensor. At some point, the insulation breaks and
the wire shorts out to the sensor body, making the sensor resistance zero.
That will bring the engine to an instant halt. This was a big problem
especially with the 68-9 engines, where the sensor was installed below the
#4 exhaust port and had no choice but for the wire to bend sharply where it
exited. I always recommend that those early engines be converted to the late
head sensor location, which means installing a different left head.

Even for the late engines, '70-on, I recommend being careful of that wire and
making sure that it comes straight out of the sensor and never gets bent
there.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org