[T3] Transmisison fun

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Fri Sep 21 22:05:31 PDT 2018

On 09/21 22:25, Jim Adney wrote:

> First, the stud connecting your 2 shafts must be too short. I don't
> think this can happen with the stock stud, but I'd have to check the
> parts list to see how long it should be.  It's also possible that
> someone "cleaned up the threads" in the input shaft, enabling a stock
> length stud to fall (almost) entirely inside it.

I don't think there was anything wrong (in the sense of "different from
what it left the factory with") with the stud that was on my
transmission.  I had help with this problem from a local guy who's had a
business rebuilding VW manual transmissions exclusively since the early
70s.  He knew of the issue (though said it's rare -- lucky me!) and told
me that his preventative fix for decades has been to stuff a wad of
paper (yes, really) into the main shaft threads to keep it from moving.
That seems crazy to me when a couple bucks will get you a shouldered
stud, but what do I know?

Anyway, this issue has been documented elsewhere online.  This thread
has some good discussion of the problem:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557933

...and this one has a bunch of links to other threads that feature the
problem as well:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490895

I don't think VW would've introduced the shouldered stud without reason.
Progressive refinements :)

Soren