[T3] Capacitive Discharge Ignitions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 1 13:48:33 PDT 2019

On 1 Apr 2019 at 12:03, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Jim -
>
> In previous discussions with you, you didn't mention in your recent post, 2
> other issues.
>
> 1.)  Physical location of the C.D.I. hardware.  Since you told me that the
> hardware is NOT waterproof, the "box", though small, can't be mounted under
> the engine cover.  It must be located in the dry cargo area.

Yes, it's best to put it in a place that's likely to stay dry. My squares have
them on the cargo floor, just to the left of the engine hatch. The connecting
wires are flat, so they feed thru the hatch seal nicely.

> 2.)  I believe you told me that the C.D.I. box also emits a high-pitch tone.

True, and some are louder than others. The sound doesn't bother me; in fact
I find it reassuring because if I hear it when I turn the key on that tells me it's
working. Once the engine starts, I can hardly notice it over the purring of the
engine.

For Notches, Fastys, and Type 34s I don't think it would be audible at all.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org