[T3] Mixture vs. Advance?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Apr 5 09:43:31 PDT 2019

On a recent post, I mentioned that richer mixtures burn slower than lean
ones. As a result of this, one might want a bit of extra advance for a richer
mixture, to give it time to burn. Turns out that it's not that simple and richer
sometimes burns faster.

It took me a LONG time to appreciate the fact that engines need advance as
the RPMs go up, simply because the burn time is approximately constant
while the time available for burning goes down as the RPMs go up. The goal
is to get the pressure peak to arrive shortly after TDC, where it can be used
most effectively.

A friend of mine, who knows much more about this than I do, answered my
question, but then passed the question on to someone who knows even
more. For anyone who might want to geek out on this, here's the long
answer, from the friend of a friend. The rest of you may want to delete this
message right now.

I believe there are some typos in this, but I've left them as-is, so you get to
figure it out. Enjoy!  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org