[T3] using original FI fuel pump wiring for aftermarket pump

bobsnotch at aol.com bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Apr 5 12:02:38 PDT 2019

The problem you run into trying to use the FI relay, is how to active the
ground side of the relay. On the FI system, the ECU activates the ground
for the fuel pump. Since you're using carbs, the ECU doesn't "exist" to do
this. I suppose it's possible to use the oil pressure switch to send a signal
to ground the relay, but it'll be a lot of work to do this.

It'd be quicker and easier to pull power from the fuse box (key on only),
then run a section of wire into and out of an impact switch, then down to
the pump. Connect the ground wire out of the pump to a shift tube access
plate bolt. Some guys get creative and make a pump mount that uses the
plate cover mounting screws to hold the bracket or the new pump. Like I
said, I just zip tied mine onto the beam.
Bob