[T3] proper carb spacers?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 8 10:24:12 PDT 2019

Sounds like we've all been barking up the wrong tree. I don't see any 
thermal isolator there, and I'm sure there's supposed to be one.

I just checked my parts book, to see what it shows, but that didn't help much. 
It only showed one part there. That part looked thick in the illustration but 
was called out as a gasket in the listing. There were 2 versions, for different 
runs of engines, but I'm not sure what the difference might be. Oddly, the A 
version was for early cars, while the plain one was for late cars.

Early, up to late '66. 341 129 795A

Late, late '66-on, 341 129 795 (manifolds w/dual balance pipe ports)

The parts book seems to show dual port heads in use in '66. I thought all 
'66s were single port heads.

It's likely that the OE part consisted of a phenolic spacer with paper gaskets 
pre-glued to each side. Using aftermarket paper gaskets with an OE spacer 
with the OE paper scraped off is a very reasonable way to go.

I'd try to find the real thing, rather than someone's universal fit repop. With a 
bit of patience, I'd expect someone on this list to have an extra pair they 
could sell. Failing that, try ISP. Google found some in Europe, but at high 
prices. OTOH, this is a good solution to your problem and these parts don't 
wear out.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

More information about the type3-vwtype3.org mailing list