[T3] Solved High Left Carb Idle

Jeff C knowonelse at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 09:11:06 PDT 2019

The carbs are balanced at idle using the idle adjustment screws.
The linkage between them is adjusted at higher RPMs by altering the length
of the right hand linkage which is designed like a turnbuckle.
Both carbs need to engage evenly, otherwise one carb would be engaged
before the other one.
Balanced at idle, then balanced at about 1500 RPMs, then checked at idle.
Repeat a couple times.

I think I solved my utter confusion about these carbs which have been on
this engine since I bought it in 1978 with 100K miles on it.
These are the only carbs I ever remember being on this vehicle.

The carbs are H-32/34PDSI-2&3 which appear to have come stock with the
following vehicles:
Type 4 1.7 - 2.0l engines
Type 2 since 08/71 - 07/79
Type 411/412
Porsche 914

So, I have carbs designed for larger displacement engines than my stock
1600.

So, now that I know what I have, and got it to at least work, I need to
properly adjust the idle stuff, choke, butterfly adjustment, high idle, and
such.
This is proving to be elusive as good instructions, pictures, and proper
videos are hard to find.

The linkage on the original applications is different while mine uses the
stock linkage for my '67.

Obviously these carbs were changed out by the PO.
I wonder if the engine, when I bought it with popping heads, was a larger
displacement?
I'll never know.

Jeff '67 Sqbk