[T3] Vintage oil

Dennis Stiefel dad23boys at live.com
Tue Dec 10 05:01:12 PST 2019

> On Dec 9, 2019, at 7:09 PM, Daniel K. Du Vall <dduvall at 1peter4-10.org> wrote:
>
> How many have really experienced the lack of ZDDP issues lately?
> They are ever upgrading formulas with other types of protectants for flat tappet cams and other surfaces that need that sort of protection.
> On that I believe allot of cam manufactures have improved their design with this lack of ZDDP in mind.
>
> Just a thought but I am sure there is someone out there who has an option otherwise.

I have not seen this issue since 2004 when someone donated an 86 ford escort to the tech school. We went through it and got it back running so we could sale it for the school. It was probably one of the last gas flat tappet engine for Ford. It had been sitting for a while so we changed all the fluids. When we changed the oil we just put regular Castro GTX in it. At that time I had not heard about the zinc issue because I had just started teaching and was a diesel mechanic at the school bus shop the past 6 years before. It everything was fine and it started running rough and after checking out some stuff we noticed one of the cylinders was dead. Pulled the valve cover off pulled the lifters out of the OHC set up and all the lifters were starting to concave on the bottom (one of them bad) and the lob on the cam on the really bad one was gone. Don’t know if that was zinc related or not but when I started to investigate why this happened that’s what everyone told probably happened but who knows. I have not since seen this in my shop again and all the people I know in the various classes car worlds have not either to my knowledge but most everyone puts some kind of either zinc additive or uses some kind of oil that comes with it.

Dennis Stiefel
Rainsville AL