[T3] Vintage oil

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 10 10:33:21 PST 2019

On 10 Dec 2019 at 1:09, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> How many have really experienced the lack of ZDDP issues lately?
> They are ever upgrading formulas with other types of protectants for flat
> tappet cams and other surfaces that need that sort of protection. On that
> I believe allot of cam manufactures have improved their design with this
> lack of ZDDP in mind.

It's not something that most of us are willing to offer up our engines as test
subjects for. I only started using a zinc additive about a year ago, but the
opinion seems to be that the residue from previous oils gives long lasting
protection, so who knows.

I recall Gene Berg mentioning, many years ago, that they were seeing cam
and lifer failures that they could not explain. They had found no differences
in old vs. new metalurgy, but I don't think zinc concerns had hit anyone yet.
This was just the beginning of the catalytic converter introduction.

I thought the YouTube video was interesting, but it was a bit of an apples to
oranges comparison: straight weight non-detergent vs. multi-weight
detergent. It would have been more interesting if he'd had more intermediate
products to compare, or maybe all straight weight. I'd love to see some SD
or SE straight weight thrown in there.

The comments were interesting. Most of them really didn't seem to get how
mismatched, in the apples to oranges sense, the oils were, but I loved the
guy who referred to the old steel spouts that we used to punch into the steel
can tops as a "pecker." I'd not heard that term before, but I thought it was
perfect. I finally gave up and recycled my "pecker" a few years ago.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org