[T3] Vintage oil

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Dec 10 16:25:48 PST 2019

IM happy to say I still have MY Pecker!

:-)

when I bought my Berg kit, they were losing cam's left and right, they had
to break all of them in by hand on a special machine for 24 hrs before
shipping the cam and lifters out to you, we didnt yet know that the zinc had
been removed.

I kept using the off the shelf oil in the Square for many year, ignorant of
what it was, or wasnt in this case.  When I peered up into the case about 10
years ago when the engine had about 110K on it, the cam was worn, not scored
but the lobe edges appeared rounded off some.  This cam however went thru
the Amzoil motor destruction and was about the only part that wasnt damaged,
and it had about 20K additional miles on it when it was put in this
otherwise new engine..

Now that being said, that engine went on to last to 165Kmi, which would have
been 185K or so on that cam with fairly stable valve adjustments.

So was it worn?  Yes, more worn that otherwise? cant say.  Did it "ruin" the
cam?  No, but then again if the lobes had worn down a bit that might have
explained some loss of power in late life.

For what its worth...