[T3] Auto trans shifter assembly?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Dec 14 19:47:02 PST 2019

On 14 Dec 2019 at 19:27, William Jahn wrote:

>  I just wondered if anyone ever pulls the cover off and cleans out the area
> of what ever has collected on the years. Mine works fine yet I want to keep
> it that way , thought I'd clean and re lube the assembly.

It's a difficult job to take that apart without breaking something. You can
expect to fail at your first attempt. It looks like it should be simple, but you
can't remove the top plastic plate without reaching under it, after removing
the screws, and releasing (1/4 turn) at least 1 of the bulb holders. They are
wedged into the steel frame underneath at an angle and can't be pulled
straight out.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org