[T3] 65 notch brakes

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Feb 24 11:24:56 PST 2019

Sorry to be slow responding to this, but my PC has been down now for
about a month and my means of responding are not as good as usual.

On 21 Feb 2019 at 9:43, Ray wrote:

> I have a 65 notchback and I need new brakes on the front.  The front
> right wheel cylinder leaked and the pad is separating from the back.
> What´s the best route to take?  I can´t seem to find actual front
> brake shoes for a 65. I have heard about getting rear brakes and
> modifying them.

The first thing to understand about your OE system is that they are
VERY good brakes. Yes, you can "upgrade," but at great expense and
trouble and very little improvement.

> 1) Should I switch to disc?
> a. Is my front end compatible with later model stock brakes?

You would need the later knuckles, of which there are 2 versions, so
you have to be aware of all the ramifications, and you would have to
change the outer tie rod ends so they would fit the late steering
arms. If you really want to do this for the bragging rights, I have
most of the parts, good used, which I would be happy to sell you.

> b. I assume It would require a new master?

You could switch to a tandem MC, which would be a worthwhile upgrade
even if you did not switch to disks, or you could have your OE MC
rebuilt to be compatable with disks.

> c. Were all the T3 front ends ball joint?

Yes, but not a bit like Beetle ball joint front ends.

> d. Is there a better disc brake option?

Better than what? There were 2 slightly different OE front disk
setups used on Type 3s. The later one offers longer pad wear,
possibly more fade resistance, but no extra braking

> e. I only drive maybe 500 miles a year...so is upgrading worth it?

Frankly, I can't imagine what value it would have for you.

> 2) Reline the brakes?  Where?

There must be lots of places that can do this. I know of one, but you
might find some one closer to you.

> 3) I know Jim repairs wheel cylinders, right?

Right, and that's probably your very best option.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org