[T3] Fuel Cap

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 22 06:50:10 PST 2019

On 21 Jan 2019 at 21:16, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> But in the last few years, one of two things has happened:
> 1.)  The cork seal has gotten less pliable and made it difficult to turn
> that 1/4 turn, or 2.)  I've lost a tremendous amount of hand strength.
>
> Either way, I find difficulty removing the fuel cap.
>
> Is there an easy fix?

I find that the end of the filler pipe tends to get rusty and pitted after many
years. This causes 2 problems: The rough sealing surface no longer slides
smoothly against the gasket, and the rough surface tends to eat away at the
gasket.

On one car it got so bad that I took the entire filler pipe out of the car and
laid a thin bead of brass braze all around the sealing surface and then filed it
flat. That left a smooth surface that could not rust, but it was not an easy fix.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org