[T3] Unmovable Driver Seat

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 8 06:53:57 PST 2019

On 7 Mar 2019 at 23:34, J. Jonik wrote:

> I tried but cannot get the driver's seat ('71 T-III) to slide forward
> or backward...even though the release lever works fine.  Tracks are
> frozen with rust, corrosion, and time.   Trouble is that, without
> turning the car upside-down, Liquid Wrench or other rust treatment
> cannot go uphill to drench the sliding parts.  I used hydraulic jack
> pushing against heavy lumber in back seat area....and big hammers.   No
> luck.   Anyone know other tricks?

Once those tracks have gotten rusty and stuck it's hard to break them loose.
I never thought of the jack method, but that sounds reasonable. I wouldn't
expect to be able to break both sides loose at once; concentrate on just one
side, then the other. And be sure to have the seat released while you're
doing this.

I've usually used a very heavy lead hammer, This always works eventually,
but usually damages the seat base. I suspect that the shock a hammer
provides may be more effective than the slow force of the jack, but you might
try leaving the jack in place while you let the oil soak overnight.

Even though it's "uphill" I think oil will make its way to where it needs to go,
but it will take time. Use something that won't evaporate, so you can let it
soak in for a couple days, then try the jack or the hammer.

Once you get the seat free, remove it completely and clean out all the parts.
Straighten the floor rails, which will be bent, and coat the seat grooves with
heavy grease.

I have the plastic slides if you need them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org