[T3] 73 type 3 FI ignition condenser ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 15 09:02:44 PDT 2019

On 14 Mar 2019 at 16:12, William Jahn wrote:

> Consider buying a Harbor Freight "Battery Maintainer." They are normally
> ~$9 but commonly go on sale for half price. They are quite effective.
>
>  I read the 4 stage Maintainers are the best. I had one long ago yet It
>  was not high tech and had 2 lights yet I always saw 15 volts which was to
>  much and there was no way to tell if the voltage dropped during , I was
>  not about to baby sit it I just plugged it in .

The Harbor Freight maintainer is nothing fancy. It's just a very basic constant
trickle charger. For our purposes it's perfect, and cheap. My '71 has one in
the garage all winter and sits in the low 13s. I have another one on a spare
battery in the garage and a third in the basement, where it can be used as
needed. Each one bought for less than $5.

Sometimes fancy, or "best", is the last thing you need.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org