[T3] 73 type 3 FI ignition condenser ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Mar 16 09:01:49 PDT 2019

On 15 Mar 2019 at 11:01, William Jahn wrote:

>  I saw a video since there is no acc position on the Ignition , this
> fellow said some have the S terminal for the insane key buzzer and it
> seems on bugs it has a S or an S1 . He has an after market radio and
> as you know even with points you can´t leave the Ign on or it can over
> heat the coil . Point is since I am only aware of the S which is
> ground , in this case if you wire in a relay that has a fused hot to
> it and insert the key you have the ground and wired to a relay and the
> hot . Once wired up just insert the key without turning it and with
> the wired in relay this ?ill power up the radio or what ever else one
> might want to power on .

That's an interesting way to get yourself an ACC position.

>  Are the Bosch points sold now days as good as the old ones?

My impression is that they are as good as the old ones. I did notice,
however, that one place I tried to buy them from sold a different part # that
had a stronger spring. That would work, but it would wear out the cam and
rubbing block faster. I carry the correct ones, with the long Bosch number
ending in 044.

I also saved a few of the other ones, in case someone needs points that
would be reliable at very high RPM.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org