[T3] Fuel Filler

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Mar 23 20:47:51 PDT 2019

On 23 Mar 2019 at 16:45, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> The cork seal seems to have become so hard that seating it, with the "ears"
> that are supposed to engage slots in the fuel filler pipe, makes turning
> the cap nearly impossible for my (non-dominant hand - Jim will understand
> this) wrist.

This is a common problem, especially with cars that don't get driven, and
refilled, very often. The problem is often rusting of the end of the filler pipe,
so that surface gets rough, and digs into the gas cap gasket.

> I've considered making a tool to fit over the "knob" to give me more
> leverage for turning the gas cap.

I've found that a pair of normal slip joint pliers makes an excellent "torque
multiplier" for this effort.

> Do I need to replace the cork?  Use a thinner piece of cork?  Lubricate the
> cork? Does the fuel tank need to "breathe" so it injests air to allow the
> fuel pump to suck the fuel out of the tank and presurize the fuel ring?

I had one customer car where the rust was so bad that I removed the filler
pipe and braised the sealing surface with brass, which I then filed flat and
smooth. This was an excellent fix, because it will never rust there again, but
it was a lot of work, hence expensive.

The tank has a separate vent. The cap itself is not expected to do the
venting.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org