[T3] Fuel Filler

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 14:45:36 PDT 2019

My original (one owner) 1969 FI Squareback Gas Cap has what appears to be a
"doughnut-shaped" seal of cork, that seals (or is supposed to seal?)
against the "rolled edge" of the metal, fuel filler tube terminus.

My problem is that the Gas Cap, which has a raised  "knob" that is used to
tighten or loosen the cap 1/4 turn, has become increasingly difficult to
turn.

The cork seal seems to have become so hard that seating it, with the "ears"
that are supposed to engage slots in the fuel filler pipe, makes turning
the cap nearly impossible for my (non-dominant hand - Jim will understand
this) wrist.

I've considered making a tool to fit over the "knob" to give me more
leverage for turning the gas cap.

Do I need to replace the cork?  Use a thinner piece of cork?  Lubricate the
cork? Does the fuel tank need to "breathe" so it injests air to allow the
fuel pump to suck the fuel out of the tank and presurize the fuel ring?

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)