[T3] Capacitive Discharge Ignitions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 31 13:10:10 PDT 2019

Since about 1966, I've been a supporter and user of the Capacitive
Discharge Ignitions (CDIs) that were designed and sold by Delta in
Colorado, either as kits or preassembled. Those were sold under the names
Delta Mark 10, Mark 10 B, and Mark 10 C. Delta also sold them thru Radio
Shack (ArcherKit), Allied Radio (Knightkit), and Heath (Heathkit.) These
were all Delta designs with the only difference being the sticker on the case.
They are all the same quality.

Early Delta Mark 10s were available in both 6 V and 12 V versions, for either
positive or negative ground. All the ones I've ever had were for 12 V,
negative ground, but I've seen a postive ground version on ebay. The kit
versions came with instructions for assembling them for either positive or
negative ground.

The B & C versions were for negative ground only. I've never seen a C in
person.

Various proprietary CDI designs became standard on lots of cars, including
Porsche and Mercedes-Benz by the early '70s.

So what is a CDI and why should I care?

A CDI is a slightly different ignition system that has sevral advantages and
one disadvantage. It's an electronic system that can be added to any
standard Kettering (points and coil) ignition system. It boosts the car's 12
VDC to 400 V, charging an internal capacitor to 400 V and then discharging
that capacitor thru the coil when triggered by the points.

Advantages:

A CDI spark is only about 10% as long as a standard spark, so the spark
plug electrodes don't have as much time to heat up and erode, making spark
plug life much longer. The fast rise time will also sometimes fire carbon
fouled plugs that would otherwise short to ground and cause a miss with the
standard system.

The total energy delivered in the spark is about 10x larger than a standard
spark, so the chances of a misfire are reduced. The spark energy does not
decline with RPM like a standard ignition does. The B & C models produce a
3x longer and slightly more powerful spark while starting, which may be
helpful on some cars.

The current carried thru the points is minimal and is not inductive, so it does
not tend to arc and wear out the points. The only wear to the points will be
that of the rubbing block on the cam.

The Delta will work well above 10,000 RPM, so you never need to worry
about exceeding the limit of your ignition system. For most of us that's not a
problem, but the standard system gets weaker as the RPMs go up and pretty
much runs out of steam around 6-7k.

Disadvantages:

If there are weak points in your system, like broken down insulation, carbon
tracks, etc. this higher energy system will find them. Since these are things
that you should fix anyway, I don't see this as a real problem.

The B version has a switch that can fail to make good contact after a few
hours of use. That's fixed by "exercising" the switch back and forth a few
times. I get around the problem by exercising the switch each time I check
the oil on a long trip.

Notes:

The Delta CDIs work best with a standard ratio coil. Using them with special
"High Ratio" or "High Performance" coils is counterproductive.

Adding a Delta CDI to your car is just a matter of adding and rearranging
wires on your coil, nothing more. The B & C versions also include a switch to
set the system back to standard/normal, which can be useful.

A Delta CDI works just fine with a Pertonix in place of the points.

So why would you want to add a CDI to your VW?

Very long lifetime for plugs and points. I'm talking over 50k. If your distributor
cam is in good condition and you keep it lubricated, so it doesn't wear out
the rubbing block, that means you can go for years without a tuneup. (Yes,
you still need to change the oil!)

If you have trouble starting, a CDI might help. If your engine misses, you
should start by checking your cap, rotor, wires, insulators and plugs. If you
keep having to replace plugs because your engine is burning a lot of oil and
fouling the plugs, a CDI could provide a workaround until you can fix the
underlying problem.

I've been using Delta CDIs since 1966, starting with my Dad's '60 Corvair.
Currently all my Type 3s have them, using the standard OE Bosch coil and
points. In all that time, over many, many cars, I've had only 2 failures; both
were easily fixed. My last failure was in 1974.

For the past few years, I've been buying and repairing Delta CDIs that I find
on ebay. I take them apart, clean them up, check and redo solder joints as
necessary, then reassemble with stainless steel hardware. Then each one
gets bench tested at 3000, 6000, and 12,000 RPM for over an hour, just to
make sure they are ready to go.

I currently have several available for sale, some Mark 10s, some Mark 10
Bs, from well used to NOS. Prices range from $100 to $175, depending on
the model and the external appearance. I have several more sitting here
waiting to be prepped and tested.

Let me know if you're interested. I'd like to get a few of these out to good
homes. I'll warrantee them for a year, with repairs for parts & labor after that,
but you're extremely unlikely to ever have a failure.

thanks for reading,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org