[T3] Stupid question #395 Oil change time?

donrob at yachtsales.com donrob at yachtsales.com
Mon May 27 06:45:36 PDT 2019

On 2019-05-26 21:07, Douglas Campion wrote:
> Well, in my boat (406 Ford powered flatbottom)  I change it every year
> before the season starts.  Its cheap compared to any issues it could
> cause. JMO

Boats should have the oil changed in the fall when put away for the
winter...  reason being you domn't want old contaminated oil sitting in
it for a long time. Fresh oil and a proper fogging will keep the engine
in top shape.

I don't see why the same reasoning would not apply to seasonal vehicles
as well.

How many of you fog your engines when you put them away?

The answer to the original poster's question is yes, change the oil!  Al
LEAST once a year, even more if your driving can be considered less than
optimum use.  Short infrequent trips without the engine reaching
operating temperature for a a considerable time is the worst use
possible, and requires more care with oil changes.

Don Robertson
905 566-0000
donrob at fastmail.com
donrob at yachtsales.com