[T3] Stupid question #395 Oil change time?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 31 06:54:31 PDT 2019

On 30 May 2019 at 16:00, William Jahn wrote:

> I found out that the STP SAE30 & 40 are made by autozone by calling STP
> autozone gets to use their trade mark for a price. STP only deals with
> their additives.

And Autozone oil is probably made by some major brand that we would all
recognize.

I once had to make an emergency oil stop at an O'Rileys and was faced with
a bunch of O'Rileys oil that I'd never seen before. The guy at the counter
told me that it was all actually Valvoline, same oil, same additives. He'd been
to the factory and watched the same oil, just put into different color bottles,
coming down the line and put into different cartons. I suspect that all house
brand oil is done this way. It could even be different makers done under
different contracts in different years. It sounds like they are allowed to talk
about this fact but not advertise it.

I used to work with a guy who serviced big industrial air compressors. He
managed to spec his own oil and get someone to mix and package it just for
him. I suspect that oil came in 5 gallon buckets with a minimal label. Or
maybe he had to buy 55 gal drums. I should ask him.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org