[T3] Bosch plug wire question on coil wire .

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Nov 10 05:34:19 PST 2019

On 9 Nov 2019 at 21:17, William Jahn wrote:

> The two sets of Bosch wires I got seem to reach well enough though #1 could
> be a bit longer at least it wouldn't hurt if it had 2" more.

Sounds like Bosch made some changes in the lengths over the years. I think
I generally make the #1 wire maybe 6" longer than what comes in the boxes.

>  I'm pretty sure I have 1 and 2 in the right path from the cap over the
> breather tucked under the breather tab then down to the one double holder
> that's near the edge of the oil bath hidden with the oil bath in place then
> outside and over the fuel line and outside of  FI plug for #1.

That sounds perfect.

> I favored the cap booths so 1 & 2 face the right and it was just enough
> where they don't touch anything probably why I need to move them out of
> the breather to lift the cap away enough .

One advantage of the OG dist cap ends is that they are easy to pull out of
the dist cap and set aside while working inside the dist.

> I don't have a great crimping tool for the cap or coil ends

That's another big advantage of using the OG dist cap ends: They screw into
the wire so there's no crimping required. Some of our cars also came with a
special resistor end for the nose of the coil, which also screws into the wire.
If you have that piece (also NLA new) then all 5 of your SP wires have screw
connections at each end.

Note, however, that the screw connectors are not suitable for carbon core
wire. The best thing to do with that wire is to throw it away and replace it with
copper or stainless core wire.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org