[T3] Bosch plug wire question on coil wire .

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Nov 14 10:06:41 PST 2019

On 14 Nov 2019 at 9:30, William Jahn wrote:

> they do have the inner white thick wrap around the core

> If they do arc then I will need to replace them . I just need the wire
> black is fine , do they have silicone jackets like the grey ones later
> Bosch sets used ?

My Belden wire has 3 or 4 layers, including a white inner layer. I don't think
the outer layer is silicone. The silicone wires are good, but that outer silicone
layer is soft and easily torn. It can be done, but only with care.

I think all SP wire from the 40 or 50s was 7 mm, then GM introduced HV
ignition systems circa 1980 and that came with 8 mm wire. I don't think the
larger wire will fit in our SP connectors or in the special right angle dist cap
connectors. The 7 mm wire works perfectly for us.

I've never seen white wire holders. Wonder where they came from.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org