[T3] odd issue RPM hangs.

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 11:12:02 PDT 2019

I've adjusted the MPS and it does run better. Yesterday I decided to check
the timing. I lowered the RPM then checked it was 7.5 *BTDC it should be 5.
I backed it off to 5.

 Here's the odd part. Once the engine is warmed up and I set the idle @1000
RPM in park if I just give it a bit of gas either at the pedal or throttle
I notice the RPM goes up as does the timing , it advances and I expect
this.

 I thought that the throttle cable was binding yet even when I make sure
the throttle is closed the RPM does not drop back down from 1200 RPM to
what I set it at 1000. Now if I place the trans in drive the RPM drops down
to 700 before I set the timing it dropped to 800 either way once I shift in
the drive and back into park the idle is back to 1000 RPM.

 Does this make any sense? I checked the dist turn the rotor and it snaps
back.
I know placing it in driver will lower the RPM because of the trans load
and doing so brings the idle down at the same time slows the dist speed to
the RPM I set the timing to 5 *BTDC .

 I can't tell what the issue is why the idle hangs and even when set @ 7.5*
BTDC it didn't ping . I rebuilt this dist it had no wear and I lubed every
thing well and it worked fine. If it had a broken spring it would advance
far to much.

 What can cause this? I checked the AAR was closed and plugged the line
anyway. I don't get the extra 100 RPM drop since I set the timing it does
not begin to advance until the RPM is near 1000 and I set it @ 800 RPM.