[T3] '73 Idle Test

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 1 12:27:52 PDT 2019

On 1 Sep 2019 at 10:37, William Jahn wrote:

> at that point the pump relay had already timed out and was not part
> of the reading .

You've caught me again. You're right, the main power relay supplies voltage
to the pump relay all the time, but the pump relay coil only draws current
during that first second, unless the car is started.

So this makes more sense: The non-engine-running brain still draws about
0.280 mA, all by itself. When running, I expect it to draw more, plus the
injector pulses will add a lot to the load.

> I do know when I got this car someone had accessed the ECU because the
> rear trim panel hard board was cracked and also someone replaced the
> MPS because it was screwed together and looked quite a bit older than
> any other part near the engine yet it ran fine once I replaced the pile
> of rust the original VR was

The original pressure sensors were all screwed together. At some point in
time, Bosch started supplying replacement pressure sensors that were
riveted together. I'm pretty sure that time was well after all our cars were
built.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org