[T3] On my 73 square

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 10:04:10 PDT 2019

I'm still trying to understand the head temp sensor. You said the crimp is
part of the threaded housing. Here you said " The missing insulation won't
cause a problem unless it allows the center
conductor to short to ground on the steel crimp. That will bring you to a
halt
very quickly, but is seldom a problem except on the '68-9 cars where that
sensor is cramped under the #4 exhaust port. On those engines the wire is
forced to make a hard right angle turn just past the crimp, and they can
short
there.

 What is the center conductor ?
I only see a thin red wire when all the black  plastic covering is removed
, I just see it in the crimp with nothing other than a thin black sleeve
over the red wire that can be pulled back. Since on early models if the
center conductor being bent shorts to the crimp then it's shorted to
ground. I get the steel crimp and the housing are to read 0 ohms. I thought
the wire from the sensor to the 1/4" female connector was the center
conductor. In another post you said there is a spring on each end of the
thermister / small puck was your term. My point is is I were to short the
lead anywhere from the connector to the crimp to ground then this is a
short to ground . You said from the connector to the crimp should read say
1.8K ohm . How is the center conductor insulated from each end of the puck.
Or is the puck or thermistor in contact with the crimp at one end via a
small spring and also contacts the body via a spring at the other end?

 I already tightened all the injector connectors and all the other ones the
TPS and MPS and trigger points. None of this made any difference.