[T3] Our Postal Service

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 7 09:47:33 PDT 2020

An open letter to the VW Type 3 community

I just drove another package to our local Post Office; I do this once or twice
a week. Also, about once a week, our mailman delivers a package to our
front door. He does this in the course of his ~300 visits a year to our house.
Most of those packages I get are Type 3 parts, sent here for repairs, or parts
that I need to make those repairs. A few people send their parts via UPS, but
the vast majority use the United States Postal Service (USPS.) I believe they
do so because it's the most convenient way for those of us who don't have a
business with daily UPS pickup and delivery. It's also usually the cheapest
way to ship parts.

I understand that many people view the USPS with disdain, blaming them for
the junk mail we all get, but junk mail isn't the Post Office's fault. Part of the
beauty of the USPS is that they are required to deliver whatever, within
limits, they are given. They don't get to pick and choose who they will deliver
for and who they will refuse. It's a universal service that we too often take for
granted.

Right now the USPS is in trouble. The reduced business caused by the
COVID-19 Pandemic has hit the USPS hard, and the federal relief that got
offered to private businesses, like airlines and cruise lines, was denied to
the USPS. There are political forces which would prefer that this service be a
business that could deliver profit into private hands, set their own rates, and
pick and choose their customers. Laws passed by congress have limited the
USPS's ability to set their own rates, while also requiring the USPS to
completely fund all their employee retirement costs 75 years into the future.
This means that our USPS is now funding retirement costs for employees
who have not yet been born. No other business anywhere in the world is
required to do this. It's only purpose is to force the USPS to run at a loss
every year, because it's much easier to say something is poorly run if it is
running in the red.

If we do nothing, it appears that the USPS will be shut down sometime this
fall.

Let's consider what it would mean to not have a Postal Service. We would
be the only 1st or 2nd world country to not have a national mail system. A
large number of US citizens would no longer get mail pickup and delivery
~300 days a year. Some of those people even depend on the USPS for
delivery of medicine, because they can't get out to pick it up themselves. We
would all have to pay higher prices for whatever private service replaced the
USPS. (Those profits have to come from somewhere.) Did you know that
UPS has always charged $1 extra for residential delivery? Rural customers
would likely be required to pay much higher prices, or be required to drive
into town for their "mail." Amazon Prime customers (I'm not one) even get
Sunday delivery, which UPS would probably gladly do, but for a price.

I realize that this message is likely to be viewed by some as "off topic," but
it's not as "off topic" as you might think. I still have a few more years in me,
fixing Type 3 parts that no one else cares to do, but if the USPS is killed,
that will affect my ability to serve this niche. It will make my job harder, and
at my age, 74, harder is a problem.

I have written my Congressman and my Senators.  For those of you in the
US, I encourage you to do the same. Fixing this problem should not be a
partisan issue, but I realize that it now is. If you're on the con side of this
issue, I encourage you to put on your thinking cap and try to think about how
to run this like a business while someone else sets your rates and requires
you to fully fund your retirement costs 75 years into the future.

For a good review of this problem, I recommend this video from John Oliver.
He claims the USPS retirement costs are only 50 years into the future, but
everything else I've heard says 75. Either way, it's absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL8g0W9gAQ&t=2s

If you're overly bothered by the F-word or John's excellent sense of humor,
feel free to skip this.  ;-)

And if you have more questions, ask your mailman.

And, thanks for reading this far.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org