[T3] torsion arm needle bearings and machining Delrin bushings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jul 12 19:06:35 PDT 2020

Check thesamba, you may be able to find new ones. I may have good used
ones. Your old ones probably failed because the upper torsion bar came
loose in the left upper trailing arm. That's a common problem that must be
fixed before you do anything else. Fixing that may not be as simple as it may
appear.

I don't know if Delrin will be strong enough for an outer bearing replacement,
but it might be. It would likely be fine for an inner. You could probably make
a one piece outer bearing and thrust piece, but you could do it in 2. I would
not try to make an inner bearing as part of the same piece, because that
would keep grease from getting to where it's needed.

The inner sleeves DO get worn out on front axles that have been neglected,
as yours has been. You'll want to check it once you get the old outer bearing
out of the way.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org