[T3] The Bentley and it's case assembly compared to videos

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 09:36:01 PDT 2020

I thumbed through my Bentley a few times lately and to be honest it jumps
around from one part to another. It's a wonder one could use it . I also
used the Haynes.

 My question is on the videos some in the know talk about a opening casee
side of the crank seal. It's purpose is to allow oil to return to the sump.
I don't recall seeing this. It's also mentioned while applying case half
sealer not to get it in the rear oil galley. I recall being very careful
not to do so.

 Does anyone know or has seen the small opening referred to behind the
crank seal? It's supposed to be on the bottom end of the case half behind
the area the seal seats in the case. Is this just for certain years? I've
just watched videos on 1600 cases and all of them had a clutch and all were
Beetle engines. Not a single one on an auto trans flex plate.
 I also see lower case half nuts yet I see one small stud above and below
the cam.

William