[T3] Oil temp?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 08:35:47 PDT 2020

I forgot to add even when the ambient is over 100*F the temp never gets
much higher than 190*F even on a 10 mile drive. When I rebuilt this engine
I had the relief and control valves out and cleaned the case halves in a
hot tank then used a safe orange cleaner the one the shop used for Ford
aluminum trans cleaning. Rinsed it well with water then washed it in
mineral spirits and blew all the oil passages out. Both valves were free
moving and the springs are in their proper places, long spring at the oil
pump end.

 It's about the only thing I can think of to check now after 23 years since
the rebuild . Maybe the oil cooler bypass is stuck open for some odd reason
even though I always change the oil well before the 3,000 mile interval.
Since the temp sensor is in the sump the actual temp is most likely higher.
When i removed the pressure sender there was fresh clean oil in the fitting
to the oil cooler which seems to indicate flow through the cooler. It just
seems to me the temps should read higher than what I see now. It could be
the temp sender since it's old . The new one fits the oil cooler relief
valve in place of the factory screw in plug. To install it forces me to
check the valve operation.