[T3] Transmission cross shaft

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 8 18:38:18 PDT 2020

On 8 Jun 2020 at 18:14, Joe Plowick III wrote:

> I need to replace the throw-out bearing cross shaft and
> associated bushings in my transmission.  Where is a good place to get
> these?  I'd like to go with the heavy duty cross shaft if possible, but not a
> requirement at this time.  All the ones I find look like cheap junk.

I've replaced that cross shaft a few times, and the only reason I
ever did it was because the throwout bearing arms were worn out where
they contacted the throwout bearing. I've never seen a need to
replace the bearings. Some of the bearings in those years were
plastic, which seemed to work very well and lasted forever.

When replacing the cross shaft, I always get the arms welded to the
shaft, because they seem to come with extra weld in exactly the least
useful place. Polishing the new shaft, where it turns in the bearings
would also be good, then clean and lube the bearings with a good
grease containing MoS2.

The first cross shaft I replaced was on a '65 Beetle, and the
replacement came with a journal on the right end that was too large.
We managed to turn it down to something that fit. I don't know if it
was simply the wrong part or if it was just poorly made. It came from
J C Whitney, which should tell you something....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org