[T3] 71 Squareback MT/FI - Intermittent Engine Stopping

Wisconsin Spryers wispryers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:04:33 PDT 2020

On 14 Jun 2020 16:24, Jim Adney wrote:

> I'd be looking at the FI power and ground connections very carefully. It
can
> be useful to have a voltmeter or test light hooked up to various places
that
> you can watch while driving.

Where would you suggest hooking up the voltmeter or test light? Off terminal
87 of the main power relay?

> Since you've examined most of the power and ground wiring, this COULD be
> a bad main power relay. The 2 relays are identical. I've never seen one go
> bad in the main location, but I have seen bad ones for the fuel pump. I
have
> good spares, or you could take yours apart and clean the contacts.

I'll email you separately about the good spares. In the meantime, I"ll
clean the contacts on both of the relays.

> Also, the main power relay coil gets its ground from a brown wire that
loops
> up and grounds under the screw head that mounts the relay. Make sure that
> screw is tight. This is not likely to be your problem, since you've never
> mentioned a lot of relay clattering noises, but it's still a good idea to
check it.

I checked this and the mounting screw is tight and the brown wire looks to
be
in good condition with a tight connection to the relay terminal.

Thanks,

-- Richard Spryer