[T3] (Fwd) 1969 Fastback Fuel pump

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 17 07:23:58 PDT 2020

On 17 Jun 2020 at 6:59, Tim Schiller wrote:

> The main relay appears good and the red wire from battery has a solid
> connection. I have been following the string of posts from Wisconsin
> Spryers. Our problem is very similar. The problem started for both of
> us after filling an almost empty fuel tank. I don´t know if previously
> mentioned, as car started to sputter and die, the fuel relay was
> clicking repeatedly.

Make sure the screw that holds the main power relay is tight. A loose
connection there will cause intermittent operation of the relays. If that's tight,
check FI wire #19 where it connects, at the firewall at the front of the engine,
just to the left of the IAD. A failing main power relay is also a possibility, but
this is rare.

Also, check the FI ground wire at the top center of the engine case.

> I am currently at the cluster of wires (6) that run from the brain to
> the ignition distributor and temperature sensor II. The 2 white wires
> to the temperature sensor II were taped by prior owner. After removing
> tape, one wire easily came/broke off. I am cleaning connections and
> replacing broken wire which was a little brittle and burnt. My
> immediate question is does it matter how these 2 wires are connected
> to the sensor? I removed the wires from the plastic connector to clean
> but did not mark each wire to put back in connector.

Those wires can be connected either way.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org