[T3] Possible oil cooler seal leak?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:24:52 PDT 2020

I probably should have replaced them when I had the runners off about a
year ago.
 I wiped the area around them clean and I see sings of oil , not wet oil
right where the seals are located.

 I have cardboard under the engine and it becomes oily after a few weeks.

 I am in no position to pull the engine yet I know I have to at least
remove the left runners and gen and disconnect the fuel lines to the left
injector fitting and leave the injectors and short hoses in place. Plus
since it's a 73 FI there are wires that I need to remove.

 I see oil on both sides on the bottom yet nothing from the flex plate
indicating a rear main seal.

 If I decide to tackle this could I use the new runner to head
gasket/spacer even if it's been there a year yet not many miles? The old
ones didn't tear the paper off and they have been on there since 97.

 I didn't wash the top of the engine down when I did the work, I just used
a putty knife and rags to remove the caked on stuff.

 I see oil on both sides of the case and on the lower tins yet nothing much
on the push rod tube ends. It seems to be coming from the top and may blow
around , can't say how it gets on the right side. I can deal with a few
drips and since I stopped using that SAE 20w50 castrol oil it seems to leak
less compared to the Valvoline SAE 40.

 Without removing the lower tin there is really now good way to clean the
case sides. It does not run hot and I do drive it more than in the last
decade because I have to go further for some things yet it's still maybe at
the most 500 miles per year instead of 300.

 I rebuilt the engine in 97 . It still runs fine and has no noise other
than the normal tappet gap sound. After I rebuilt it it didn't take long to
begin leaking oil and I was careful during the rebuild . If I were to do it
again I would do things a bit differently since there are better ways to
seal the case studs and other areas. I haven't kept track of how much oil
it leaks yet in a years time I've only used what was left of 1 quart after
an oil change . I keep it above the area between the oil sticks two marks
so it's about 1/4" below the top mark. that means it lost about 11 oz in a
year plus when I changed the oil.   I used these good sump gaskets that
seal well yet you need to check them again after a drive engine at temp and
I forgot so I lost a bit due to that , how much who knows but the 6 nuts
and plate were wet with fresh drips. I get these from Autozone and are the
Mahle brand. I use the same brand valve cover gaskets and those fit better
than any I have ever used before.