[T3] Oil sump Drain plug?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 19:11:41 PDT 2020

It's been so long I don't recall how the copper crush ring fit. In other
words did it fit the threads well and not move side to side?

 The reason I'm asking is the VDO sump temp sensor is a 3/4" hex and I
recall the stock being 13/16". Not much of a difference and the treads are
the same.
 It seals yet since I'm changing out to a different temp sensor I won't
need that one.  I will leave the one in the sump for now until the next oil
change awhile from now.

 Only place I can find one is a few online stores yet the shipping is the
killer. I ordered a VDO temp sensor that fits the oil cooler pressure
relief which from what I read offers a much better reading than the sump
since it's before the cooler and it will give me the chance to check mine.
Also ordered a Elring gasket set for the two crush washers and many other
seals and gaskets I can use. No rear main seal.

 I also read that if the oil pressure relief spring is weak it will cause
the valve to open later, sound backwards yet does make sense. There was a
long writeup on Samba describing how the system works. I do have NOS
springs and pistons. What I don't recall if they are the pressure relief or
the return at the flywheel end.  , the plungers are the same.

William