[T3] Need "hanger plate/bar bracket" L and R side for 1968 swingaxle notchback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 10 06:40:49 PDT 2020

First off, your subject line says "1968 swingaxle", so I wonder how that's
possible, since a swingaxle car would not have this crossbar. You clearly
have the rear mount crossbar, which was only used on IRS Type 3s, so this
can't be a swing axle car and probably isn't a '68, since the only IRS '68s
were the very first AT Type 3s, sold only in Europe. So I'm guessing that this
is a '69, which is almost identical to a '68, except for being IRS.

Check your VIN. The 3rd digit of your VIN is the last digit of the model year.

Okay, that said, I've never seen one of these break either, but this one
clearly did. There were 2 versions of the rear mount crossbar. The early one
has a large (~1") hole, which I think I can see just to the right of the break.
The later one eliminated that hole. The hole was there to allow access to a
screw head that attached the tin to a tab on the heat exchanger. I believe
both versions were equally strong, but you should try to find one with the
hole if you need it for that screw access. (VW changed the tin to eliminate
the need for the hole in later years.)

The rear mount crossbar is bolted to the case with two 10 mm bolts and one
8 mm bolt. To replace the crossbar, you'll have to remove the fan and the fan
housing, which can be done with the engine in the car, but it's not
straightforward. In the meantime, I agree that it's reasonable to find a shop
that can weld the bar back together temporarily. You should check to make
sure that the hangers that support the ends of the crossbar are not putting
excess stress on the crossbar. Their positions are adjustable.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org